.:[Double Click To][Close]:.

The Fly In The Ointment


One of my several brothers has spent the last, ooh, twenty five years listening to nothing but hip-hop. Occasionally he's bought records by say Bob Marley or Egyptian Lover or Funkadelic, but it's been pretty much a one course diet. So I was a little surprised by the phonecall I got the other day.

Him: Adam, you'll know this, what's that song that goes '1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 is working overtime?
Me: It's 'senses' working overtime not 6. It's XTC.
Him: Who?
Me: The letter X, the letter T, the letter C
Him: Sounds like a rave band
Me: Yeah it does, post-punk/new wave band though.
Him: I just heard it somewhere. Love it. Ordered the 12" on ebay. What else they done? Hey, you could do me a mix cd of stuff like this couldn't you? For christmas?
Me: Yep.

Coincidentally, two days later in a second hand record shop I found a copy of the 7" of XTC's Senses Working Overtime for 99p.

So, hip hop obsessive brother wants a post-punk new wave mix cd. I think this song should go on it- Wire's I Am The Fly, catchy like flu, spikey like , erm, spikes and great in every way.


09 I Am the Fly.wma